In which we talk about what happens when people yell at each other about what they should and shouldn’t be writing, how musicians’ attitudes toward “making a career of it” seem to have shifted in the last few decades, and why not having a business plan is a bad plan.
- Beating Up Writers (1:57–17:35): everyone from tech startups to Nicholas Kristof has an opinion about what you should be writing—and so do we… sort of.
- Musical Careering (17:35–28:50): an interview with Future Islands prompts some reflection on what exactly a “career” in the music world is.
- Losing Editorially (28:50–41:55): no business plan means you might not stick around as a company—and that makes us sad.
- Opening music: “Know How To Live” by Paper City
- Closing music: Winning Slowly Theme by Chris Krycho. Used by dint of being written for the show.