Chris and Stephen use Chris’s first two ridesharing experiences as a jumping-off point to discuss services like Uber and Lyft from a host of angles: ethical, financial, technological, social, legal, and personal. Put on your seatbelts, folks: this one’s a long one.
Note: Chris told the drivers of his Lyft and Uber rides that he was going to talk about his experience on this podcast, and they agreed to talk with him.
Before You Go
- NC State: PKP brothers must vacate house by the weekend by Ken Smith, Mark Simpson, Stan Chambers Jr., and Angie Basiouny
- NC State to conduct thorough review of its Greek system by Michelle Hankerson
- “It’s Quiet Now” by Mon Draggor. Used by permission.
- “Winning Slowly Theme” by Chris Krycho. Alas, you’ll never hear this on the radio in an Uber car.
- Circa news app
- [Philadelphia Woman Accuses UberX Driver of Rape] Stephen mentioned that safety issues haven’t been in the news as much, and that was challenged very shortly after this was recorded.
- Indian Uber driver arrested after alleged rape, police say – Here’s another instance of passenger safety being breached in dangerous ways.
- Uber Regulatory Issues via Circa News
- This is Uber’s playbook for sabotaging Lyft by Casey Newton
- Uber goes Big Data, shares customers’ data with a hotel chain by Lisa Vaas
- Why Uber Fights by Ben Thompson
- Why Uber Is Worth $18.2 Billion by Ben Thompson
- Obsoletive by Ben Thompson
- Don’t Blame Uber by Ben Thompson
Previously on the show:
- 1.03: Disrupting All the Things!—When talked about disruptions in tech.
- 1.12: Political Appinations—When we talked about the limits of technology in the real world.
- 1.09: Kind of Like a Virus—When we talked about seemingly intractable evil.