Episode 3.06 SPACE!
These are the voyages of the starship Winning Slowly...
We geek, we gush, and we even manage to say a few serious things about the future of humanity while talking about New Horizons, Rosetta, science fiction, nation-state rivalries, and how we would love to go visit other places in the solar system (or galaxy).
Errata: Chris said New Frontiers was an ESA probe; it was in fact a NASA probe. He was thinking of Rosetta, an ESA project to land on a comet—which they did, after the greatest gravity boost sequence in history:
Note: yep, those are children fussing in the background at one point in the show. Chris has a 3-year-old daughter and a 1-year-old daughter, and the 1-year-old happened to lose her mind mid-recording. This is one of the many times a better microphone might be nice!
- New Horizons
- XKCD What if?: New Horizons – on how incredibly fast New Horizons is traveling.
- Active solar system probes
- The Expanse – a delightful romp of a space opera Chris and his wife have read.
- Virgin Galactic
- Military-industrial complex:
- Eisenhower’s speech (from which the term derives)
- The Fermi Paradox
- Fusion reactor
- Alcubierre Drive
- Previously on the show:
- 1.02: On Family – “You Can’t Have It All; Singleness Not a Disaster; and Family, Work, Innovation, and the Long View”
- 1.04: Superhero Movies!
- 1.11: We Need Life Editors – on Doctor Who
- 1.15: Timelessishness – on HomestarRunner.com
- 2.04: Might Actually Be Iron Man – Elon Musk, Tesla, SpaceX, and landing rockets on barges after using the!
Before You Go
“The guys behind MegaBots say their giant fighting robot will pioneer an entirely new, worldwide sport” – and while we think that claim might be a bit over the top, it’s still hilarious and kind of great.
- “Don’t Go Quietly” by Light Music. Used by permission.
- “Winning Slowly Theme” by Chris Krycho. This week, it managed to cover up some of those fussy children in the background. (Good editing work, Stephen.)
Many thanks to the people who help us make this show possible by their financial support! This month’s sponsors:
- Jeremy W. Sherman
- Jeremy Cherfas
If you’d like to support the show, you can make a pledge at or give directly via Square Cash.